September 5, 2008

Sheridan Defeats Bryant 21 - 0

Sheridan defeats Bryant 21-0
By Andy Mayberry

The Sheridan Yellowjackets defeated the Bryant Hornets 21-0 on Thursday, Sept. 3 at Bryant.

Bryant received the ball at their own 22 yard line, but was forced to punt as their first three plays netted a negative five yards.

Sheridan took over possession of the ball at the Bryant 33 yard line. The Jackets faced a fourth down and three yards to go when David Damron blasted his way through the line to pick up the first down. Sheridan continued their march downfield, and Gary Brown went into the end zone from three yards out to put the Yellowjackets on top. Larry Campbell added the extra-point, and Sheridan led 7-0 with 4:51 left in the first quarter.

Bryant began their second possession on the Hornet 14 yard line. Three plays later, Bryant punted the ball to the Sheridan 15.

Willie Traylor ran 16 yards on the first play of the drive, and was followed immediately by Gary Brown with a 24 yard run. On second and eight from the 43 yard line, Brad LaRue dumped the ball off to Scott Herron, who ran it down to the Bryant two yard line. Gary Brown scored the second Yellowjacket touchdown, and Larry Campbell again converted the extra-point attempt as Sheridan opened up a 14-0 lead with just seconds remaining in the opening period.

On Bryant’s next possession, Scott Herron intercepted a Hornet pass at the Sheridan 40 yard line and ran the ball back to the Bryant 35.

Sheridan couldn’t score on the Hornets this time, though. Brad LaRue was dropped behind the line of scrimmage on a third down play, and Juan Caple punted the ball 33 yards into the end zone for a touchback.

After a good defensive series by Sheridan, Bryant downed a punt on the Yellowjacket 37 yard line. A couple of plays later, Brown scrambled 38 yards down to the Bryant 17. A fumble, an incomplete pass, and a penalty caused Sheridan to have third down and long when David Damron carried the ball 18 yards to set up a fourth and two from the 9. Sheridan picked up the first down, and two plays later, Brown scored his third touchdown of the night. Campbell’s kick was good again, and Sheridan now held a commanding 21-0 lead.

Late in the half, Bryant moved the ball to the Yellowjacket 14 yard line, but they were unable to gain another yard. Sheridan took over on downs and ran out the remainder of the clock.
Willie Traylor ran the second half kickoff back to the Bryant 45, but Sheridan was unable to move the ball against the Bryant defense.

The second half was dominated by the defenses of the two teams. Neither team was able to sustain a drive. The Sheridan defense, led by Steve Coleman and David Damron, allowed the Bryant quarterback very little time to survey the field on pass attempts. This helped cause many incompletions and two interceptions.

Bryant returned a punt to the Jacket’s 25 yard line with 1:18 left to play, and were threatening to score when Shawn Ward picked off another Hornet pass to insure the 21-0 shutout.

Sheridan’s record is now 1-0.

Sheridan ran the ball 59 times for 237 yards and completed 1 of 2 passes for 41 yards while Bryant had only 28 rushing yards and 42 yards passing.

Individual leaders for Sheridan were: Damron, 15 carries for 74 yards; Brown, 20 carries for 108 yards and three touchdowns; and Traylor, 8 carries for 36 yards.

When asked his thoughts on the game, Coach Don Campbell replied, “I thought it was pretty good. I liked it. Our offense and defense both played well. It was a heck of an effort. Everybody played hard.”

Sheridan’s next game will be Sept. 11 at home against Fordyce.

No comments:

Post a Comment